Our Mission: We believe that prints, handmade paper and book arts are a source of inspiration, that experimentation leads to discovery and that creativity is the cornerstone of the learning process. It is our goal to inspire artistic excellence, promote educational enrichment and foster community engagement through programs and activities that promote the appreciation of these artistic practices. Our mission is to bring meaning to these art forms, so that all can delight, make connections and find value.
Our Programs: Artist-in-Residences, Education Programs, and Exhibitions and Events, which connect community to the arts via activities designed to spark a dialogue between professional artists and the public. We play a critical role in the art world by:
- - hosting hundreds of artists in residence
- - developing outreach programs for students and the community
- - offering classes for artists of all levels
- - producing and publishing prints and artist books
- - conserving and collecting works on paper
- - curating exhibitions both locally and throughout the world
- - providing professional development programs for teachers
Our History: Pyramid Atlantic was founded in 1981 by noted artist and teacher Helen C. Frederick to provide a setting for artistic collaboration and dialogue. A 501(c)(3) non-profit contemporary arts center, Pyramid Atlantic receives federal and state funds as well as generous support from private foundations, corporations, and local businesses. In addition to this funding, we count individual donors and members among our most valued supporters. Tradition and innovation go hand in hand. We are located in the heart of the Arts & Entertainment District in downtown Silver Spring, MD. The facility features a paper mill, print shop, letterpress studio, bindery, and cutting-edge digital studios.